18 Oct 2015

CEFR & JLPT

Hello guys!

Today I'm here to explain to you how I determine in which level I fit in each language when I don't have a teacher to say it to me or an exam to determine it.

It's very simple really, it exists something called CEFR (Common European Framework of Referance for Languages) that works as a guideline (mainly to european languages) to determine which level I'm in!

And how does this work?

Well there are 3 Major levels: A (basic), B (independant) and C (proficient). Each of them breaks into two smaller sub levels which will then further specify your degree of knowledge:

A1 - Beginner

A2 - Elementary

B1 - Intermediate

B2 - Upper Intermediate

C1 - Advanced

C2 -  Proficiency

All this information I acquired from the respective Wikipedia page on the matter, so if you want further information on this I reccomend you read it!

But as I explained, this chart is better used to evaluate your skills on European languages, what about other languages like Japanese for example? 

Well each country has (or should have) a test to foreigners to get a certificate on how they learned that country's language (the tests are not necessarily made in the country of the language you learned, they can have other spots in your own contry where they have it, like a local university).

I can only speak of the cases I know, and the only I know for sure is the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test). This test is held several times in several places (to the portuguese and spanish readers I know there is a place in Spain that holds the test) and if you pass you get a certificate on how you know Japanese.

There are a total of 5 different levels, meaning, five different exams, it starts on the N5 this being the lowest one and N1 being the highest level you can achieve. 

There are also schools in Japan with the sole purpose of prepairing foreigners that come and reside there to take this exam.

People everywhere argue on the usefulness of this exam, many say it doesn't leave you near of proficiency, because like in every other language class you focus on grammar structures instead of real life applications, even though I plan to take this test once I'm on a higher level, but I won't dismiss in any way the practical learning of said language!

If you are interested in learning this or any other languages that aren't European I reccomend you search these tests (if it's something you are aiming for of course) even if it is to give you a small notion of the degree you want to achieve.

Another way I like to set limits is using books, I would choose an YA (Young Adult) book in my target language (because these are usually the ones that use common, day-to-day vocabulary and not some medical terms I never heard of) and I won't stop studying until I can read it whole, even if slowly and with as dictionary by my side, if I reach "The End" I know my job is done and I just have to review it a whole lot (because you never really stop learning a language or you'll forget it...)

So this is all for today, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!

Arrivederci,

Nana!

No comments:

Post a Comment